Sunday, February 17, 2013

There are a million and 1 reasons to Live with Addiction and only one to get Sober.

 By: David E. Carroll Jr

There are a million and one reasons people give for getting drunk.

1. My girlfriend left or is being mean to me.
2. My boyfriend is a prick.
3. My wife won't sleep with me anymore.
4. My husband is a prick.
5. My girlfriend is sleeping with my wife.
6. My husband is a prick.
7......
I could go on and on but the reality of the situation is people don't need a reason to get drunk and act stupid they do it because that is what they want to do.
I once had a friend who would get drunk every time we went out and would flirt with any man or woman who would look her way and would always get me into fights by telling the men I was being mean to her. I can't tell you how many times I pulled her out of situations which occurred because she was drunk and stupid . The next day she would not remember anything because at some point she would blackout. The funny part is that while blacked out she functioned perfectly, even to the point of driving a car. I followed her home many nights and she never swerved or gave any indication that she was wasted.

Some people drink everyday yet they deny having a drinking problem.
If you can not go a day without drinking some sort of alcoholic beverage then you have a drinking problem.

Certain people have asked how I can tell them to stop drinking because it is controlling their lives when I drink.  Well there is a difference in drinking a couple of beers or a glass or two of wine with dinner at times or getting drunk a couple of times a year vs drinking until I blackout a few times a week. Very few people I know drink to this extent but if you are one of them you have a problem and need to get help. 

There was a period of time when in my late twenties/early thirties (80's and 90's) I found myself drinking everyday and most days, while at work. Once I started this behavior I quickly found out I wasn't alone and started learning from my co-workers how to disguise my drinking. It was easy, a large white Styrofoam cup could be used to hide a Daiquiri or disguise a smaller cup with a cocktail inside. I had sales reps bring me bottles of liquor which we would sometimes consume behind the lock doors of my office. I can not even start to tell you how many deals I made while inebriated and no one seemed to care. Same goes for smoking pot, there were many days when my assistant and I would get high at lunch and go back to work, lock the door to my office and sleep until it was time to knock off.

Many of those days are remembered through an alcoholic haze but when I decided enough was enough, I quit cold turkey for over two years I did not drink a drop of alcohol. Not many people can say they have gone from being drunk every night to stone sober for two years. I did the same thing with cigarettes, I smoked on and off for over 25 years and when I decided to quit for good, I stopped and have only smoked a couple of times in the past 3 years.

The hardest thing I have ever tried to stop was my feelings for the girls and women in my life whom I have been romantically involved.
Addiction to Love is brutal.

The one reason I have for staying sober is:(fill in the blank)_______________________.




No comments:

Post a Comment