Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My first teaching gig...


August 21, 2012

My day started out full of stress because before I started my teaching gig I had to prepare 60+ meals for students and teachers. At 9am I was alone in the kitchen with a ton of work left to do before I had to be ready to start service at 11am. I was preparing Chicken Tetrazzini and anyone who has ever cooked this dish in bulk knows it takes time to do it right. Thank goodness I had done some of the prep work Monday. At approx 9:30 a couple of friends stopped by on their way to clean some carpets in another area of the school and saw my dilemma and took pity on me. They jumped in and helped and we served the first plate of Chicken Terrazine, Sweet peas, Fruit cocktail and Garlic bread with sweet tea at exactly 11am. My class started at 12 and the ladies stayed around and cleaned the kitchen while I was teaching my class.

American Government is the first class I have ever taught on my own. This should stretch my abilities and allow me to explore my own desireto learn more about our system of government. I figure I have the books and a captive audience so what the heck, I will give it a shot. What do they know? They are kids...lol
Hopefully, I will blind them with my brilliance... :) Plus, I watch the news, read papers, follow political blogs online. All that said, I am as qualified to help these kids learn what they need to know as most teachers.

Wish me luck.

Sept 7th
All is well. The class is still intact and I haven't had any complaints about my cooking.  Since I last posted a message our neck of the woods experienced Hurricane Issac which stayed around for a few days blowing trees down and dumping lots of water on the area. The electricity at my house was out for 19 hours but my sister was out for 2 days. They had a generator which keep them in business. We missed 3 days of school which delayed our first quiz but we were able to get it out of the way on the second day back. Sept 5th. My class seems to like me which is always a good thing.

The cooking part of my day has been going well and the feed back has been great. Support from student and teachers is all I can ask for and some of the young ladies would help out in the kitchen if they were allowed too. Given an alternative I would have them with me all morning at least one day per week. let them cook lunch so they can see how it feel to have folks eat and appreciate your effort. I am going to work on this as a project for a later date.

I have some photo's to post of a couple of the meals we have served lately. I was unable to make it to school on Tuesday some of the kids told me that they missed my cooking because my food was much better. I was not the least bit surprised to  receive that news. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment